August 31, 2012

Pizza Crust Breadsticks!

Hey Peoples!

I usually only go grocery shopping every 2 weeks, we are at the end of the 2 weeks, and I need to go grocery shopping! As you might expect, I am trying to use up all the food I have left in the refrigerator. I hate throwing food out, so I came up with a couple of recipes that did justice to the leftovers in my fridge.

The first recipe I want to share is pretty simple. I had a partially baked pizza crust sitting in my freezer awaiting any toppings I wanted to put on it. The only problem was...we didn't feel like eating pizza!

So here's what I did, I made a deconstructed version of Hawaiian pizza (my honey's favorite)! The first part of the deconstruction was to make bread sticks out of the pizza crust. I just cut up the crust into appropriate sized pieces, topped with Pecorino Romano cheese, and then baked like the regular pizza crust would have been.
 The resulting bread sticks were crunchy on the outside, pizza doughy on the inside, and a salty tang from the cheese...in a word: amazing!

The next part of the deconstructed pizza is yummy Hawaiian BBQ chili! But you will have to wait until Monday for that recipe!

All right, here is the recipe for the bread sticks:

Ingredients:
  • 1 recipe for soaked pizza crust, partially baked for freezer storage (6 minutes at 450 degrees), I used my mother-in-law's recipe and tweaked it for soaking purposes.
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 - 1 cup of Pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated ( you could also used Parmesan)
  • sea salt
Method:
  1.  Thaw pizza crust at room temperature.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
  3. Slice the pizza crust into bread stick sized pieces.
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the bread sticks on the pan with space in between each one.
  5. With a pastry brush, lightly brush each bread stick with the olive oil, sprinkle with the sea salt, and cover the tops with the cheese.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is crispy.
  7. Serve with the Hawaiian pizza chili!

Until next time!...

No comments:

Post a Comment